Monday, August 17, 2009

On deck for this week...

After enjoying a wonderful long weekend with the wife in Wine country visiting friends and breweries ( I know, right?) I am back and about ready to tackle my next model, Reaper's Lamann Sorcerer. Until I get my lighting rigs back from my friend, I wont be able to do any WIP shots until then to prove it, but I think I have decided on the color scheme for this guy as well as the effects and techniques I want to try to apply to this guy.



As for the color palate, I think I am going to go with a nice combination of Yellow, Purple and Green. For the Robes, I think I am going to lay out a nice pale and mellow yellow color and complement that with a strong and muted purple (probably GW's Liche Purple as a base) and then hit the orb in his left hand hard with a bright and lively green.

Obviously, this is just my plan going in, but the idea I am eye-balling here is 4-fold. 1) Expand my usage of the color palate by shifting from a 2 tone palate on a model to a 3 tone palate. 2) Because this model is almost exclusively robes and cloth, I wanted to get some more practice at using and exploring the blending and glazing technique I have come across in articles. 3) In beginning my hand at NMM techniques with the previous weeks Hospitallers, I have decided to take some extra effort to learn how to make my metallic metals better and look less out of place and 'novice-y'. the little bits of small armor that show will be a good way to begin that. 4) This one is the real trick here. I am going to try my hand at secondary source lighting. That is to say, portraying glowing lights from sources other than the 'sun' on the model. Ideally, I will be able take a bright and glowing green orb, and show the green light from the orb on the appropriate portions of the rest of the model. whew!

I know I over-analyze a lot of things in my life, and this is no different. But if the ultimate goal is to simply improve my quality of my end product and increase my ability and artfulness, then the only way I know is through over analyzation. Due to the completely 'out of my own depth' nature of my goals, and other things, I think I am going to push the deadline on this model back and take 2 weeks rather than a single week. I will however be posting thoughts, progress, setbacks and frustrations along the way.

wick, wick

28mm Painter

No comments:

Post a Comment